Cocaine trafficking, under MA G. L. c. 94C, § 32E, is a very serious charge involving possession with intent to distribute or distribution of cocaine, which is a Class B substance in our Commonwealth.
Sentences for trafficking in cocaine are harsher than those for marijuana. An aggressive defense by an experienced Boston, Massachusetts cocaine trafficking attorney is without question your best and only option if you have been accused of cocaine trafficking.RECENT CHANGES TO THE COCAINE TRAFFICKING STATUTE
In August of 2012, Governor Deval Patrick signed “An Act Relative to Sentencing and Improving Law Enforcement Tools” (Chapter 192 of the Acts of 2012) which contains important provisions changing cocaine trafficking threshold weights and penalties. Under the old law, the weights and penalties were as follows:
- For at least 14 grams but less than 28 grams of cocaine, there was a mandatory state prison sentence of 3 years.
- For at least 28 grams but less than 100 grams of cocaine, there was a mandatory state prison sentence of 5 years.
- For at least 100 grams of cocaine and less than 200 grams of cocaine, there was a mandatory state prison sentence of 10 years.
- Trafficking of 200 grams or more of cocaine carried a mandatory state prison sentence of 15 years.
Today, the following weights and penalties are applicable in cocaine trafficking cases:
- For at least 18 but less than 36 grams of cocaine, there is a mandatory state prison sentence of 2 years and a fine of at least $2,500. The maximum sentence that may be imposed under the cocaine trafficking statute in Massachusetts is 15 years and a fine no more than $25,000
- For at least 36 but less than 100 grams of cocaine, there is a mandatory state prison sentence of 3 ½ years and a fine of at least $5,000. The maximum sentence for trafficking this amount of cocaine is nor more than 20 years and a $50,000 fine.
- For at least 100 but less than 200 grams of cocaine, there is a mandatory state prison sentence of 8 years and a fine of not less than $10,000. The maximum sentence allowed under this threshold amount of cocaine is 20 years prison sentence and a fine of $100,000.
- For 200 grams or more of cocaine, there is a mandatory minimum sentence of 12 years and a fine not less than $50,000. This is the most severe cocaine trafficking sentence in Massachusetts which allows for a prison sentence of 20 years and a maximum fine of $500,000.
Cocaine trafficking charges cannot be taken lightly and absolutely require a serious defense. Your best available choice is to hire an experienced Massachusetts cocaine trafficking defense lawyer who will act aggressively in protecting your rights and freedom. Attorney Stephen Neyman has more than two decades of experience in Massachusetts defending persons who have been accused of trafficking in cocaine and all other criminal defenses. His expertise, attitude, and professionalism make him a well-respected criminal drug offense lawyer throughout Massachusetts. Former clients, peers, and those in Massachusetts courts recognize that Stephen Neyman is one of Boston’s best and most talented drug crimes defense lawyers.LAW OFFICES OF STEPHEN NEYMAN, P.C. (617) 263 6800
The Law Offices of Stephen Neyman, P.C., a Boston-based criminal defense firm, can be reached at (617) 263 6800. You can also reach Attorney Stephen Neyman by sending an e-mail. Initial telephone consultations are free and completely confidential. A skilled lawyer should step in at the very beginning stages of your case to make sure that your rights are being protected, so call Attorney Neyman’s office as soon as possible. Stephen Neyman is the lawyer to call when the stakes are high and your future is in jeopardy.